This guide comes with easy to follow pictorials and detailed illustrations which covers:
- - Different ring sizing methods
- - Strength of solder joints
- - Choose correct sizing method
- This tutorial can be made in a standard smithing workshop. You will need:
- - Rings to practice sizings
One of the most common and varied things a metalsmith must do is size rings up and down. A broad knowledge and understanding of how to approach each individual ring sizing and the best sizing method to use in each case scenario forms part of the foundation in this training tutorial, which is based on years of experience.
Normally ring sizings can straight forward, except when things go wrong.
And when they go wrong, it becomes a BIG problem, because
(1) the ring has sentimental value
(2) gemstones / materials are difficult to replace
(3) you have to remake the ring and you have to explain to your customer that what was a half an hour job suddenly turned into a one week job.
Casually approaching ring sizes can become very expensive. Laying down a good foundation of knowledge with some working experience will make the sizing of rings quick and easy on the work bench.
Topics of discussion include the removing of an undersized ring from a finger and how to size a ring that has one or more gemstones. Further training aspects include when rings have to be sized four or more sizes up and the reasons why ring stretchers cause problems.
Sizing rings with gemstones